posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

Raeburn trs, Met. Book 7


Metamorphoses 7.553--582, 613--651
The Plague at Aegina (youtube)

(New College Reads to You - David Raeburn reads from his own translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses)

7.553--582, p.206 (pdf)
‘The plague grew stronger and next attacked the peasants and farmers; it then proceeded to lord it inside the walls of the city. First a burning sensation inside the intestines, then flushes [555] and short-drawn breathing were early symptoms of latent disorder.
...
[580] then, weakly extending their arms to the stars in the lowering heavens, here or there, wherever death took them, they gave up the ghost.

7.613--651
Aeacus next explained how sorrow had yielded to gladness: ‘Overwhelmed by this powerful whirlwind of pain, I protested: [615] “Jupiter, hear me! Lord! If the story isn’t a lie,
...
I followed him out, and there were the men [650] who’d appeared to me in my dream, exactly the same as I’d seen them down to their order of march, approaching to hail me as king.

Labels:

0 Comments:

coComment


:: Kommentar veröffentlichen
 (留言請留名, 謝!)

<< Home