posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

Met., Book 7 (Medea)


2022 McCarter, 7.22--23, p.177
Some strange new force draws me against my will. / Desire pulls me one way, but my mind another. / I see and praise what's right, yet want what's wrong.

2004 Raeburn
I am dragged along by a strange new force. Desire and reason / are pulling in different directions. I see the right way and approve it, / but follow the wrong.

1993 Mandelbraum, p.203c (Everyman's)
Instead, despite myself, a force that I have never known before impels me now: / my longing needs one thing; my reason seeks / another. I can see---and I approve / the better course, and yet I choose the worse.

1986 Melvile, p.144c
But against my will some force bewitches me; / One way desire, another reason calls; / The better course I see and do approve---/ The worse I follow.

1983 Humphries, p.160c
What for? Unhappy girl, shake from the bosom / This burning fire, if you can. If I could do it, / I would be more sensible, but some new power / Holds me against my will, and reason calls / One way, desire another. I see, approving, / Things that are good, and yet I follow worse ones.

1958 Horace Gregory, p.173
But now against my will an unknown power / Has made me weak---heat sways me one way, / And my mind another: I see the wiser, / Yet I take the wrong.

Labels:

0 Comments:

coComment


:: Kommentar veröffentlichen
 (留言請留名, 謝!)

<< Home