posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

Met., Book 14 (Diomedes)


Ovid's Metamorphoses, Book 14

2022 McCarter, p.420
Such labours I endured / at sea, such labours on the battlefield, / that I would often call them lucky whom / the storm or dangerous Caphereus / sank in the waters, I'd wish I were among them.

1986 Melville, p.340a
Such tragic toils / I endured on ocean's waves, such toils in war / On land, that often I counted fortunate / Those whom shared storms and ruthless Caphereus / Had drowned, and wished that I were one of them.

1993 Mandelbaum, p.474b (Everyman)
So, in sum, / I suffered such great grief on the high seas / and, in my wars on land, such miseries, / that I would often deem most happy those / the deadly tempest drowned at Cape Caphareus.

1916 Miller (Loeb), p.345
So great toils did I endure on the high seas and so great toils of war on land that often did I call those blessed of heaven whom the storm, which all had suffered, and cruel Caphereus drowned beneath the waves; and I wished that I, too, had been one of them.

2004 Martin, p.501
and so oppressive were / the toils at sea and wars on land I bore / that often I would call men fortunate / who had been drowned in the storm we all endured / or had been shipwrecked on Caphereus, / and wished myself to have been one of them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

coComment


:: Kommentar veröffentlichen
 (留言請留名, 謝!)

<< Home