posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

bible translations in english


NJPS, Jewish Tanakh
NJB, Catholics, functional equivalence
NRSV, ecumenical, formal equivalence

Alter's (Torah, Samuel, Psalm, Wisdom Books)

* * *

NEB, modern scholarship (Time review) (OT parts, NT)
Gen 1:1
In the beginning of creation, when God made heaven and earth, the earth was without form and void, with darkness over the face of the abyss, and a mighty wind that swept over the surface of the waters.

Isaiah 9:6
For a boy has been born for us, a son given to us to bear the symbol of dominion on his shoulder; and he shall be called in purpose wonderful, in battle God-like, Father for all time (or, of a wide realm) , Prince of peace.

Matthew 20:12
Have sweated the whole day long in the blazing sun!

Luke 10:40
Tell her to come and lend a hand.

Nahum 1:11-14
These are the words of the LORD:

13 Now I will break his yoke from your necks and snap the cords that bind you. 14 Image and idol will I hew down in the house of your God. This is what the LORD has ordained for you: never again shall your offspring be scattered; and I will grant you burial, fickle though you have been. 12 Has the punishment been so great? Yes, but it has passed away and is gone. I have afflicted you, but I will not afflict you again.


Daniel
Before they reached the floor of the pit the lions were upon them and crunched them up, bones and all.

Deuteronomy 23: 13
When you squat outside the camp, you shall scrape a hole ... and cover your excrement.

Ps 121
If I lift up my eyes to the hills, where shall I find help?

Ecc 1:1
Emptiness, emptiness, says the Speaker, emptiness, all is empty.


REB, with its literary quality recognized

Psalm 10:1
Why stand far off, Lord?
Why hide away in times of trouble?

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I lack for nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me to water where I may rest;
3 he revives my spirit;
for his name's sake he guides me in right paths.
4 Even were I to walk through a valley of deepest darkness
I should fear no harm, for you are with me;
your shepherd's staff and crook afford me comfort.

5 You spread a table for me in the presence of my enemies;
you have richly anointed my head with oil,
and my cup brims over.
6 Goodness and love unfailing will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
throughout the years to come.


1 Timothy 1:3-7
When I was starting for Macedonia, I urged you to stay on at Ephesus. You were to instruct certain people to give up teaching erroneous doctrines and devoting themselves to interminable myths and genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation, and do not further God's plan for us, which works through faith.

This instruction has love as its goal, the love which springs from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a genuine faith. Through lack of these some people have gone astray into a wilderness of words. They set out to be teachers of the law, although they do not understand either the words they use or the subjects about which they are so dogmatic.


* * *

Knox's from latin Vulgate, stylish
Jonah 2
And what of Jonas? At the Lord's bidding, a great sea-beast had swallowed him up; and there, in the belly of it, three days spent he and three nights. This was the prayer which Jonas made to the Lord his God, there in the belly of the sea-beast: Call I on the Lord in my sperril, redress he grants me; from the very womb of the grave call I, you are listening to me! Here in the depths of the sea's heart you would cast me away, with the flood all about me, eddy of yours, ave of yours, sweeping over me, till it seemed as I were shut out from your regard: yet life you grant me; I shall gaze on your holy temple once again.
(thou => you, etc.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

coComment


:: Kommentar veröffentlichen
 (留言請留名, 謝!)

<< Home