posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

JRR Tolkien's Jonah


約拿書
quote from Davar Akher, Praise the Lord (of the Rings)

Jonah 1:1-2
NJPS: The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai:
Go at once to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim judgment upon it; for their wickedness has come before Me.

Tolkien (JB): The word of Yahweh was addressed to Jonah son of Amittai:
'Up!' he said. 'Go to Nineveh, the great city, and inform them that their wickedness has become known to me.'

NJB: The word of Yahweh was addressed to Jonah son of Amittai:
'Up!' he said, 'Go to Nineveh, the great city, and proclaim to them that their wickedness has forced itself upon me.'


Jonah 3:3b
NJPS: Nineveh was an enormously large city a three days' walk across.

Tolkien: Now Nineveh was a city great beyond compare: it took three days to cross it.

NJB: Now Nineveh was a city great beyond compare; to cross it took three days.


Jonah 4:11 (God's final word that closes the book)
NJPS: And should not I care about Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who do not yet know their right hand from their left, and many beasts as well!

Tolkien: And am I not to feel sorry for Nineveh, the great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, to say nothing of all the animals?

NJB: So why should I not be concerned for Nineveh, the great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, to say nothing of all the animals?



NJPS: He said:
In my trouble I called to the Lord,
And He answered me;
From the belly of Sheol I cried out,
And You heard my voice. (Verse 4)

Labels:

0 Comments:

coComment


:: Kommentar veröffentlichen
 (留言請留名, 謝!)

<< Home