posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

Revised English Bible quotes


REB, quotes available in internet, as much as i can find out

also see seasons of devotion

Genesis 1:1-2
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was a vast waste, darkness covered the deep, and the spirit of God hovered over the surface of the water.

Psalm 10:1
Why stand far off, Lord?
Why hide away in times of trouble?

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I lack for nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me to water where I may rest;
3 he revives my spirit;
for his name's sake he guides me in right paths.
4 Even were I to walk through a valley of deepest darkness
I should fear no harm, for you are with me;
your shepherd's staff and crook afford me comfort.

5 You spread a table for me in the presence of my enemies;
you have richly anointed my head with oil,
and my cup brims over.
6 Goodness and love unfailing will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
throughout the years to come.

Psalm 22:1, 16, 30-31
1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
16 Hounds are all about me; a band of ruffians rings me round, and they have bound me hand and foot.
30-31 The coming generation will be told of the Lord; they will make known his righteous deeds, declaring to people yet unborn: The Lord has acted.

Psalm 90:1-2, 9-10 ??
Lord, You have been our dwelling place for all generations . . . Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.

We finish our years like a sigh. The days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow.

Ps 119:54
Your statutes are the theme of my song throughout my earthly life.

Ps 121
If I lift up my eyes to the hills,
where shall I find help?
My help comes only from the Lord,
maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot stumble;
he who guards you will not sleep.
The guardian of Israel
never slumbers, never sleeps.

The Lord is your guardian,
your protector at your right hand;
the sun will not strike you by day
nor the moon by night.

The Lord will guard you against all harm;
he will guard your life.
The Lord will guard you as you come and go,
now and for evermore.

Ecclesiastes 8:6-7; 9:5, 11 ??
Man is greatly troubled by ignorance of the future; who can tell him what it will bring?
The living know that they will die.
Time and chance happen to them all.

Isaiah 40:28-29 ??
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary . . . He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.

Proverbs 1:8-19
Attend, my son, to your father's instruction and do not reject your mother's teaching; they become like a garland on your heard, a chain of honour for your neck.

My son, if sinners entice you, do not yield. They may say: 'Join us and lie in wait for someone's blood; let us waylay some innocent person who has done us no harm. We shall swallow them like Sheol though they are alive; though in health, they will be like those who go down to the abyss. We shall take rich treasure of every sort and fill our houses with plunder. Throw in your lot with us and share the common purse.'

My son, do not go along with them, stay clear of their ways; they hasten hotfoot into crime, pressing on to shed blood. (A net is spread in vain if any bird that flies can see it.) It is for their their own blood they lie in wait; they waylay no one but themselves. Such is the fate of all who strive after ill-gotten gain: it robs of their lives all who possess it.

Isaiah 9:6
For a child has been born to us, a son is given to us; he will bear the symbol of dominion on his shoulder, and his title will be: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty Hero, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Amos 8:2
'What's that you are looking at?' he said. I answered, 'A basket of ripe summer fruit.' The Lord said to me, 'The time is ripe for my people Israel. Never again shall I pardon them.'

Nahum 1:12-14
12 These are the words of the LORD:
Judah, though your punishment has been great,
yet it will pass away and be gone.
I have afflicted you, but I shall not afflict you again.
13 Now I shall break his yoke from your necks
and snap the cords that bind you.
14 Nineveh, this is what the LORD has ordained for you:
No more children will be born to you;
I shall hew down image and idol
in the temples of your gods:
I shall prepare your grave,
for you are of no account.


Matthew 6:1-8
Be careful not to parade your religion before others; if you do, no reward awaits you with your Father in heaven.

'So, when you give alms, do not announce it with a flourish of trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Truly I tell you: they have their reward already. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing; your good deed must be in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

'Again, when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; they love to say their prayers standing up in synagogues and at street corners for everyone to see them. Truly I tell you: they have their reward already. But when you pray, go into a room by yourself, shut the door, and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

'In your prayers do not go babbling on like the heathen, who imagine that the more they say the more likely they are to be heard. Do not imitate them, for your Father knows your needs before you ask him.

Matthew 6:9-13 (Lord's Prayer)
Our Father in heaven,
may your name be hallowed;
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
Forgive us the wrong we have done,
as we have forgiven those who have wronged us.
And do not put us to the test,
but save us from the evil one.

Luke 1.46-55:
My soul tells out the greatness of the Lord, my spirit has rejoiced in God my saviour; for he has looked with favour on his servant, lowly as she is. From this day forward all generations will count me blessed, for the Mighty God has done great things for me. His name is holy, his mercy sure from generation to generation toward those who fear him. He has shown the might of his arm, he has routed the proud and all their schemes; he has brought down monarchs from their thrones, and raised on high the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. He has come to the help of Israel his servant, as he promised our forefathers; he has not forgotten to show mercy to Abraham and his children's children forever.

John 3:16
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that everyone who has faith in him may not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 20:7
On the Saturday night, when we gathered for the breaking of bread, Paul, who was to leave the next day, addressed the congregation and went on speaking until midnight.

Romans 7:14-25
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am not: I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not even acknowledge my own actions as mine, for what I do is not what I want to do, but what I detest. But if what I do is against my will, then clearly I agree with the law and hold it to be admirable. This means that it is no longer I who perform the action, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me---my unspiritual self, I mean---for though the will to do good is there, the ability to effect it is not. The good which I want to do, I fail to do; but what I do is the wrong which is against my will; and if what I do is against my will, clearly it is no longer I who am in the agent, but sin that has dwelling in me.

I discover the principle, then: that when I want to do right, only wrong is within my reach. In my inmost self I delight in the law of God, but I perceive in my outward actions a different law, fighting against the law that my mind approves, and making me a prisoner under the law of sin which controls my conduct. Wretched creature that I am, who is there to rescue me from this state of death? Who but God? Thanks be to him through Jesus Christ our Lord! To sum up then: left to myself I serve God's law with my mind, but with my unspiritual nature I serve the law of sin.


Romans 13:1-2
Every person must submit to the authorities in power, for all authority comes from God, and the existing authorities are instituted by him. It follows that anyone who rebels against authority is resisting a divine institution, and those who resist have themselves to thank for the punishment they will receive.

1 Corinthian 13:8-
Love will never come to an end. Prophecies will cease; tongues of ecstasy will fall silent; knowledge will vanish. For our knowledge and our prophecy alike are partial, and the partial vanishes when wholeness comes. ... At present we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror, but one day we shall see face to face. My knowledge now is partial; then it will be whole, like God's knowledge of me. There are three things that last for ever: faith, hope, and love; and the greatest of the three is love.

Colossians 3:9-10
You have discarded the old human nature and the conduct that goes with it, and have put on the new nature which is constantly being renewed.

1 Timothy 1:3-7
When I was starting for Macedonia, I urged you to stay on at Ephesus. You were to instruct certain people to give up teaching erroneous doctrines and devoting themselves to interminable myths and genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation, and do not further God's plan for us, which works through faith.

This instruction has love as its goal, the love which springs from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a genuine faith. Through lack of these some people have gone astray into a wilderness of words. They set out to be teachers of the law, although they do not understand either the words they use or the subjects about which they are so dogmatic.

1 Timothy 6:3-5a
Anyone who teaches otherwise, and does not devote himself to sound precepts – that is, those of our Lord Jesus Christ – and to good religious teaching, is a pompous ignoramous with a morbid enthusiasm for mere speculations and quibbles. These give rise to jealousy, quarrelling, slander, base suspicions, and endless wrangles – all typical of those whose minds are corrupted and who have lost their grip of the truth.

2 Peter 3:8 ??
Do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

1 John 3:17
But if someone who possesses the good things of this world sees a fellow-Christian in need and withholds compassion from him, how can it be said that the love of God dwells in him?

James 1:17 ??
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

coComment


:: Kommentar veröffentlichen
 (留言請留名, 謝!)

<< Home