posts | comments | archives | links | create | song
(reminder: all quotes here are fiddled, probably.)

Faure's self-introduction

  • 溯洄從之

  • 2005.10.01

    David Faure  
    B.A. (University of Hong Kong), Ph D (Princeton University);
    Department Chairman, Professor

    I think I am interested in social history. That means I am interested in custom, but I am not really interested in the history of customs. I am also interested in life style, but the social history I want to write is not the history of lifestyles. I guess I am interested in social structure, not the social structure created by historians, but the social structure which the people I am interested in identify with. I believe people can only surpass the limits imposed by the structure they identify with by understanding it. Yes, I think we read history to contribute to a better life.


    1 Comments:

    :: Anonymous Anonym (24.01.06, 16:16   ) sagt...

    船山先生, 初時見到Faure 這個名字, 還以為是擁有天使名字, 寫了一首很好聽的安魂曲(見 orion.it.luc.edu/~avande1/requiem.htm), 那位法國作曲家呢.



    coComment


    :: Kommentar veröffentlichen
     (留言請留名, 謝!)

    << Home